Forgotten areas on the edge of Rochdale are set for a makeover thanks to almost £20m in government cash.
Forgotten areas on the edge of Rochdale are set for a makeover thanks to almost £20m in government cash.
The council are set to accept the Pride in Place funding next week at the latest town hall meeting. This means the local authority would get the total £19.6m over the course of the next decade.
It works out at just under £2m every year for 10 years. The targeted areas are Hurstead, Smallbridge and Belfield – all of which have been overlooked for funding historically.
Currently no plan has been created to decide on how the cash will be spent. However, tackling congestion; improving parking; creating new green spaces; enhancing local facilities; and expanding maternity services are all early suggestions being made.
At their meeting next week, town hall bosses are also set to approve the Hurstead, Smallbridge and Belfield Neighbourhood Board – who will establish the proposal on how to spend the money.
The Neighbourhood Board is made up of local community figures; MP Paul Waugh; the council’s regeneration boss Coun Daniel Meredith; and chaired by Laura Rodwell of the M6 Theatre group.
According to council documents, they have until November 30, 2026 to submit their four-year plan to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
This plan is necessary in order to unlock the funding. Some £150,000 has already been granted by the government in order to form the board and generate the plan.
When the Pride in Place funding was announced last year, there was understandable skepticism locally. This was due to the areas going years without proper investment.
Ken Whittle has lived and worked in the area for decades. He felt very little investment has left the area looking tired and unloved.
Speaking previously, Ken said: “I’m very skeptical about this. People here are used to getting nothing.
“Something for the children will be good or a centre for the community to gather could work because, at the moment, that doesn’t exist.
“Social housing needs work so people can actually come in and have a home. We can’t let it go downhill any further.
“The hardest thing with this is that people are moving out because no one is doing anything with anything. There has been no investment really.
“Maybe this cash can change things, but it’s up to the community to do it properly.”
Another skeptic, Dinah Banks, told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: “I think people just get on with their own lives. Why bother, look at it, it’s got no life at the moment.
“I want to see better GP service and walk-in surgeries and not have to travel so far to get there.
“Maybe a proper community health service. But I won’t hold my breath.”
Rochdale MP Paul Waugh has already held consultation events with locals to get an understanding of what they want.
Once the new Neighbourhood Board and government cash is formally accepted by Rochdale council’s cabinet on August 25, local views will shape how the future scheme looks.
Oulder Hill records highest proportion of pupils achieving grades 9 to 5 in English and Maths
How major 1,550-home scheme would fit into Greater Manchester
Old industrial building demolition could unlock regeneration
Cardinal Langley students celebrate rise in GCSE and BTEC results
St Anne’s Academy in Middleton matches its best GCSE results
Heywood's Pride in Place scheme without chair after Brian Davies steps down
Strikes back on at four Greater Manchester hospitals after payment offer withdrawals, says UNISON
New play area coming to Lower Place
Bury Adult Learning Service welcomes residents to annual open day
Greater Manchester to receive £17m in funding to help with the homelessness crisis
Local golf clubs reach last eight of Manchester and District Alliance competitions
New homes approved for Kirkholt

Comments
Add a comment