On Air Now

Music Mix

10:00am - 11:00am

Now Playing

John Newman

Come And Get It

City centre brought to standstill as major police operation surrounds Britain First far-right protest

Credit: David Murphy / Alamy Live News

Hundreds of police officers were deployed across Manchester city centre as rival protest groups gathered on Saturday. Three arrests were made during the operation.

Greater Manchester Police put a large scale operation in place to separate supporters of the right-wing group, Britain First and counter protesters, with significant disruption reported across the city centre.

The demonstration began near Piccadilly Station, where several hundred Britain First supporters gathered before moving towards St Peter’s Square. Counter protesters assembled separately in Piccadilly Gardens.

Police formed cordons along key routes, restricting movement and closing roads while tram services through St Peter’s Square were suspended for several hours. Officers on foot, mounted units and vehicles were stationed across the area as part of the response.

The operation followed previous protests in February which saw disorder and multiple arrests. On this occasion, officers maintained separation between groups throughout the day, with only brief verbal exchanges reported.

Britain First march in MCR - Saturday 18 April 26
Credit: David Murphy / Alamy Live News

 

Greater Manchester Police confirmed three arrests. One man was arrested on suspicion of breaching a requirement to remove a face covering. Another man was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer. A woman was arrested on suspicion of breaching the peace.

Police said a dispersal order remained in place into the evening, giving officers powers to direct individuals to leave the area.

Assistant Chief Constable Rick Jackson said officers had been deployed to support the right to peaceful protest while managing disruption.

He said “We had extra officers on duty to support people’s right to protest peacefully while reducing the impact on the wider public.”

He added “Thanks to the efforts of our officers on the ground and the planning done with our partners, hundreds of people from a range of groups were able to come together safely, with no significant issues reported.”

Earlier in the day, police said officers used PAVA spray during an incident involving counter protesters attempting to break through police lines. No injuries to members of the public were reported.

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something happening in our Borough?

Let us know by emailing newsdesk@rochvalleyradio.com

All contact will be treated in confidence.

More from Greater Manchester

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Recently Played

Newsletter

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated.

   

Coming up next On Air

  • Music Mix

    10:00am - 11:00am

    Roch Valley Radio is with you 24/7 with our great mix of music!

  • Phil Salter's Tuesday Lunchtime Jukebox

    11:00am - 2:00pm

    here every Tuesday for 3 hours of classic tunes from the last 6 decades - it’s all random on the Jukebox and you can join in too.

  • The Mood Swing Shift

    2:00pm - 3:00pm

    with Jainy Smith , straight-talking perimenopause & menopause chat... The stuff we actually go through (no fluff, no shame, no whispering)

  • Tuesday Drivetime

    3:00pm - 6:00pm

    getting you home on your favourite Drivetime station.

  • Trending Tuesdays

    6:00pm - 7:00pm

    with Charlotte and Lauren

  • Grumpy Grandad and Harry

    7:00pm - 8:00pm

    with David Thomas and Harry bringing you all the fun and music being TikTok famous.