Rochdale Borough Council says it will begin enforcement action within days after construction work continued at Primrose Hill Farm in Heywood without planning permission, amid growing public controversy and a planned protest later this month.
Concerns over the site have been circulating on social media for the past fortnight, with the local vigilante 'Heywood Community Guards' group, otherwise known as 'Heywood HMO protesters', organising a protest at the farm gates on Saturday, 28 February at 1pm.

A post shared online by organisers states:
“Julie goodyears farm was beautiful lets not let it be destroyed and turned into a HMO for illegals to attack our women and kids because we will NOT stand for it! Saturday the 28th of February 1pm lets make a statement and be seen and heard this is OUR town! Please share”.
There is currently no planning application before the council for a house in multiple occupation at the site, in reference to its use to house asylum seekers or migrants.
Building control records show that an application was originally submitted in 2025 for the conversion of a barn and shed into a 15 bed HMO.
That proposal was later amended to a 15 bedroom bed and breakfast in November 2025.
A further amendment dated 11 February 2026 proposed conversion into 10 two bedroom apartments, alongside alterations to stables to form additional bedrooms and ancillary rooms.
Submitting an application does not in itself grant permission to carry out the work.

Images seen by Roch Valley Radio show two people working on the site. Neither have been identified.
Neighbours believe this change in application is simply a way to circumvent getting the work and changes approved under a different guise, given the backlash the site is currently receiving. With one resident saying;
If it walks like an HMO and quacks like an HMO, calling it “dwellings” doesn’t magically fix it.
Let's see how well the Council handle this situation, because the outcome of this will reflect the outcome at the local elections.
Another resident said;
He’s going to get away with it, isnt he?? I’m telling you now, those 9 dwellings will house exactly what everyone else is thinking
Rochdale Borough Council has now confirmed it has received a fresh planning application for the conversion of the barn and stables into nine dwellings. A council spokesperson said the current application “is not for an HMO”.
The spokesperson added:
We’re aware that construction work has started on a development at this site without planning permission and we have been in regular contact with the individual in question and visited the site a number of times to try to bring about an end to this work.
Recent information suggests that, despite all this, work is continuing on site and we will now begin enforcement action against this individual in the next couple of days.
Residents contacted Roch Valley Radio on 18 February to report that building work was continuing, including the delivery of a digger to the site. Earlier this week, drilling and other construction activity could be heard from neighbouring land.

In correspondence dated 15 February 2026, Councillor Bev Place told a resident that a planning enforcement officer had visited the site and that the Planning Service had written to the developer advising that works should cease immediately, with the exception of works required to make the site safe.
She said that if work did not stop, the council would consider serving a Temporary Stop Notice, breach of which can carry an unlimited fine.
The council has confirmed it will now move to formal enforcement action.
Under planning law, carrying out development without the required permission can amount to a breach of planning control. Councils have a range of enforcement powers available, including the issuing of Temporary Stop Notices and Enforcement Notices, although each case is assessed on its own facts.
Roch Valley Radio contacted the applicant before publication. No response was received at the time of publication.
Green light for new gym at former Queensway car dealership
Eleven students secure Oxford and Cambridge offers
Bury’s young voters elect new Youth MP after strong turnout
EXCLUSIVE: Silenced mother’s own FOI reveals nearly £11 million paid out for maternity harm at hospital where she says she was assaulted during childbirth
Running from Rochdale to London in memory of hospice care that supported a family’s darkest days
Locked out in the cold as Rochdale Train Station staff didn't turn up to unlock the gates
Greenmount jumble sale buyer appeals to return unexpected sex toy found in donated bag
New private diagnostic centre opens at Rochdale AFC ground
Romance takes centre stage at The Rock in Bury
Food drive to support FRGS Hub pantry set for Saturday at Bury FC
United Utilities to host online recruitment event as wastewater hiring drive continues
MP visits Heywood engineering academy during National Apprenticeship Week

Comments
Add a comment