Families in Littleborough have voiced anger and distress after being told treasured items left on graves at St Barnabas Church must be removed by Sunday 7 September.
A notice displayed at St Barnabas Church, Shore, Littleborough, confirmed that memorial items including artificial flowers, toys, mementoes and decorations must be cleared from the churchyard in line with Church of England regulations.
The church says it is acting under the authority of the Diocese of Manchester and does not have power to make exceptions.
The notice states: “These regulations are in place to preserve the dignity, character, and sacred nature of the churchyard for all who visit. They apply to all parishes and prohibit certain items, including kerbs, railings, fencing, chippings, mementoes, windmills, toys or little animals, anything affixed to monuments, artificial flowers and any kind of lighting.”
It adds that neither the vicar nor the parish council has authority to permit items that fall outside these rules, and that any removed items will be carefully stored for collection.

But the announcement has left grieving families devastated.
Danielle Almond, whose baby daughter is buried in the graveyard, said she was “absolutely sickened” by the order. “This is a sanctuary for me at times,” she said. “We keep it tidy and tasteful. This is like taking the last shred of comfort we have.”
She added that deer often eat fresh flowers, leaving artificial ones as the only lasting option.
Another mourner, Lindsay Flory, said her father’s grave had been respectfully maintained for more than 20 years. “It isn’t harming anyone keeping the graves looking tidy and looked after,” she said.
The church warden, who also has a loved one buried there, apologised and explained that the order comes from the Chancellor of the Diocese of Manchester. “We as a church do not want to carry out these instructions. We have tried not to, but have met with a brick wall,” she said.
Some residents are now calling on church leaders to rethink. Local campaigner Kitt Budd said: “This is a sacred place to visit and still have time with those we miss. Someone with a belief in God would not agree with this.”
Families are being urged to contact the Diocese directly if they wish to raise concerns.
New drive-thru for Rochdale approved
The new Bury NeighbourHub has opened to support residents with work, skills, health, and wellbeing
Cardinal Langley students celebrate 'exceptional' A-Level and BTEC results
Veterans group to take over cafe and community hub at Denehurst House
Hopwood Hall College students celebrate Results Day success
Bury residents asked for views on 10-year housing strategy
Seven more Rochdale schools to offer free breakfast clubs
Rochdale Netball Club joins Rochdale AFC under new identity
Roch Valley Radio presenter Ian Foran appointed Rochdale AFC Sports College head coach
93-year-old former police officer returns to Rochdale station
Burnley man banned from keeping animals after dog found emaciated in Rochdale home
OMD play first Rochdale show to sold-out Town Hall Square crowd

Comments
Add a comment