The chief executive of Rochdale council has been suspended following allegations of ‘inappropriate behaviour’.
James Binks, who was appointed as chief executive earlier this year, has been suspended by council leader Neil Emmott. The decision, made today, relates to an internal investigation being carried out by Manchester City Council, Mr Binks’ previous employer, Coun Emmott’s letter explained.
Before taking the top job at Rochdale council, Mr Binks served as assistant chief executive at Manchester council. According to Coun Emmott’s letter, the local authority is investigating allegations made against Mr Binks during his employment with them.
In a letter sent out to his elected members this morning (December 1), council leader Neil Emmott said: “You will all no doubt be aware of the troubling recent media coverage relating to our chief executive, James Binks.
“The reports relate to events that took place during his previous employment with Manchester City Council and an internal investigation that started there after James began his employment with us.
“In light of these reports and the need to ensure that the reputation of the council is upheld, I have taken the decision to suspend James from work.
“Throughout my time as leader of the council I have been clear about the need for everyone to uphold our values, which includes doing nothing to bring into disrepute the reputation of the organisation.
“As we said in our media response that was included in the media article, we expect the highest standards of behaviour from all members of our staff and the chief executive of any council has the particular responsibility to set an example to everybody in their organisations.”
It is understood that Mr Binks has apologised for his behaviour on the night in question, but has refuted any suggestion the behaviour was sexual in nature..
Mr Binks’ job as chief executive means he is responsible for the day-to-day running of the council, managing its staff and working with councillors and partners to deliver services. His predecessor Steve Rumblelow was in post for 10 years before announcing his retirement at the end of 2024.
Paul Waugh, MP for Rochdale, said: “This is the right decision by the council and I’m pleased that they have acted swiftly in responding to these allegations and treating them with the seriousness that they deserve.”
Elsie Blundell, MP for Heywood and Middleton, added: “I am pleased that the council has suspended James Binks but, like many others, I want to see more clarity about when and how the details were known about this incident. The Council must do everything to reassure women and girls that we have made progress in keeping them safe here, not slip into a default response of cover up or ignoring any misconduct.
The new Bury NeighbourHub has opened to support residents with work, skills, health, and wellbeing
Cardinal Langley students celebrate 'exceptional' A-Level and BTEC results
Veterans group to take over cafe and community hub at Denehurst House
Hopwood Hall College students celebrate Results Day success
Bury residents asked for views on 10-year housing strategy
Seven more Rochdale schools to offer free breakfast clubs
Rochdale Netball Club joins Rochdale AFC under new identity
Roch Valley Radio presenter Ian Foran appointed Rochdale AFC Sports College head coach
93-year-old former police officer returns to Rochdale station
Burnley man banned from keeping animals after dog found emaciated in Rochdale home
OMD play first Rochdale show to sold-out Town Hall Square crowd
Mayor Faisal Rana reflects on busy start to mayoral year

Comments
Add a comment