A man who drove into several people, killing a woman in Rochdale, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter and six attempted murders
A man who drove into multiple people, killing a woman in Rochdale earlier this year, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility.
Keith Knight, 49, was initially charged with the murder of 68-year-old Irina Artemeva and the attempted murder of six others following a series of collisions across the town on Saturday 3 May 2025.
Emergency services were first called to Bury Road near the junction with Woodgate Avenue just after 2.30pm, where a woman pushing a pram and two others had been struck by a car. A short time later, a second incident was reported on Whitworth Road, closer to Rochdale town centre, where a woman, later confirmed as Irina Artemeva, was also hit.
Ms Artemeva, 68, later died from her injuries.
Appearing at Manchester Crown Court, today, Monday 3 November, Knight pleaded guilty to six counts of attempted murder. He denied murder but admitted to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility. The plea was accepted by the Crown Prosecution Service following assessments by two medical experts.
Prosecutor Michael Brady KC told the court that Knight was suffering from a recognised mental health condition at the time and that his ability to exercise rational judgement or self-control was significantly impaired.
“The defendant was not in the condition to exercise rational judgement or self-control, and so a partial defence of diminished responsibility is accepted by the Crown,” Mr Brady said.
Defending, Mukul Chawla KC added: “To his credit, he is deeply remorseful that his actions have caused such hurt and pain.”
Knight, who has no fixed address, will remain in custody until sentencing, which is scheduled for 19 January 2026.
The new Bury NeighbourHub has opened to support residents with work, skills, health, and wellbeing
Cardinal Langley students celebrate 'exceptional' A-Level and BTEC results
Veterans group to take over cafe and community hub at Denehurst House
Hopwood Hall College students celebrate Results Day success
Bury residents asked for views on 10-year housing strategy
Seven more Rochdale schools to offer free breakfast clubs
Rochdale Netball Club joins Rochdale AFC under new identity
Roch Valley Radio presenter Ian Foran appointed Rochdale AFC Sports College head coach
93-year-old former police officer returns to Rochdale station
Burnley man banned from keeping animals after dog found emaciated in Rochdale home
OMD play first Rochdale show to sold-out Town Hall Square crowd
Mayor Faisal Rana reflects on busy start to mayoral year

Comments
Add a comment