A panel discussion on children’s use of social media is set to take place in Bury North as national debate grows around potential new restrictions. The event will be held on Thursday 30 April from 5.30pm to 7.30pm.
James Frith, Labour MP for Bury North, is hosting the session for constituents, bringing together a range of speakers with different perspectives alongside young people.
The event comes as the government consults on measures aimed at improving children’s safety and wellbeing online, including proposals linked to raising the digital age of consent and restricting access to social media for under 16s.
The discussion forms part of wider national and international attention on the effects of smartphones and social media on children’s mental health, concentration and development.
The Bury North event builds on Mr Frith’s Smartphone Free Bury North campaign, which began last year following engagement with pupils, parents and teachers across the constituency.
Organisers said the panel is intended to gather local views and experiences to help inform contributions to the government consultation before it closes in May.
Speakers due to attend include representatives from education, online safety organisations and academia, alongside a member of Bury Youth Cabinet.
Mr Frith said, “The question of how we protect children online is one of the most pressing challenges facing families today.
“Here in Bury North, we started this debate early, listening to what young people, parents and teachers were telling us about the pressures and risks of constant connectivity. That is why I launched the Smartphone Free Bury North campaign, it’s about giving children the safest, healthiest start in life.
“This panel is about continuing that conversation hearing from experts, listening to young people, and giving local residents the chance to shape the national debate at a crucial moment.”
Residents across the constituency are invited to attend and share their views. Registration is available through the MP’s website, with the venue confirmed after sign up.
The government consultation on children’s online safety is open until 26 May.
The new Bury NeighbourHub has opened to support residents with work, skills, health, and wellbeing
Cardinal Langley students celebrate 'exceptional' A-Level and BTEC results
Veterans group to take over cafe and community hub at Denehurst House
Hopwood Hall College students celebrate Results Day success
Bury residents asked for views on 10-year housing strategy
Seven more Rochdale schools to offer free breakfast clubs
Rochdale Netball Club joins Rochdale AFC under new identity
Roch Valley Radio presenter Ian Foran appointed Rochdale AFC Sports College head coach
93-year-old former police officer returns to Rochdale station
Burnley man banned from keeping animals after dog found emaciated in Rochdale home
OMD play first Rochdale show to sold-out Town Hall Square crowd
Mayor Faisal Rana reflects on busy start to mayoral year

Comments
Add a comment