Boy, 15, in hospital as police appeal for information following violent assault

    Credit: Google

    A 15-year-old boy is in hospital following a violent assault in Radcliffe.

    Police were called to reports of a disturbance involving two large groups of young people at the Metrolink stop on Spring Lane at around 6:45 pm yesterday evening (Sunday). 

    A number of officers attended and found a 15-year-old boy had been assaulted with a sharp weapon, causing a deep cut to his head. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening or altering, and he remains in hospital for treatment.

    Three boys, all aged 15, were arrested nearby on Belgrave Street in Radcliffe a short time later on suspicion of assault, and remain in custody for questioning.

    Additional police patrols remain in the area, and enquiries are ongoing.

    Chief Inspector Jamie Collins from GMP's Bury neighbourhood Team said: "We are aware this incident will have led to some concerns among people living in area, and we want to reassure them that we're thoroughly investigating the circumstances around what happened, and working to bring those responsible to justice. 

    "This kind of behaviour is unacceptable and we will not tolerate the carrying of weapons or violence, and I hope our latest arrests hammer home this message. It's just fortunate that on this occasion, no-one was more seriously hurt.

    "We believe this was a targeted incident, however officers from the Bury district working alongside our transport unit and Metrolink colleagues will be conducting targeted patrols in the area and on the Metrolink lines including Besses and Whitefield interchanges.

    "I would like to ask anyone who may have witnessed this incident to come forward with information, including anyone that may have captured any footage on Dashcam's, CCTV or mobile phones, as even the smallest bit might assist our investigation."

    TfGM’s TravelSafe Manager, Kate Green, added: “This was a serious incident involving groups of youths, some armed with weapons, and it’s fortunate that someone was not more seriously injured, or worse.

    “Bury is currently an area of focus for us, the police and our partners, and will continue to be.

    “Anyone using local tram or bus services on Friday will probably have seen a very visible presence as part of a TravelSafe special operation, and there will be further additional patrols by Metrolink staff and police following this incident.

    “We know people will be concerned by what happened, but I’d like to reassure them that we believe this to be a targeted and isolated incident.

    “Metrolink has hundreds of cameras on its trams, at its stops and car parks, and I would like to warn anyone involved in the violent disorder on Sunday evening that their actions and identities have been recorded on CCTV.”

    Anyone with information can get in touch via LiveChat on the GMP website, or call 0161 856 8172 quoting log 2852 of 10/10/21. 

    Alternatively, details can be passed anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


    More from Local News