On Air Now

George Buswell

10:00pm - Midnight

Now Playing

Supergrass

Going Out

Up to 57 people could be charged over Grenfell Tower fire as police reveal timeline

Tuesday, 19 May 2026 14:44

By Phoebe Southworth, Multi-Platform Reporter

Police will confirm who is being charged over the Grenfell Tower fire by the 10th anniversary of the disaster, it was revealed today.

The inferno was the UK's deadliest residential fire since the Second World War.

Seventy-two people were killed when the blaze ravaged the north Kensington building on 14 June 2017.

At Scotland Yard today, the Metropolitan Police said up to 57 individuals and 20 organisations are so far suspected of criminal offences. One person was arrested and released under investigation, and others have been questioned under caution but not arrested.

Potential charges include corporate manslaughter, gross negligence manslaughter, fraud, serious health and safety offences and misconduct in public office.

The final charging decisions will be revealed by 14 June 2027 - exactly a decade on from the fire.

Grenfell Tower is the largest and most complex investigation in the history of the Metropolitan Police.

The force has spent £150m so far, combing through millions of records and taking thousands of statements.

Any criminal trials are unlikely to take place before 2029, but police are preparing by building a smaller replica of Grenfell Tower to show potential future juries how the fire spread.

The original building can no longer be used as it has been partially deconstructed.

This replica has cost the force £2m. Police would not reveal where it is being built or how big it will be.

In 2024, the Grenfell Tower Inquiry concluded that opportunities were missed to prevent the blaze, and commercial interests had been prioritised over fire safety.

Cladding was at the heart of the inquiry

The tower was built with combustible materials, which allowed the fire to quickly spread through its 24 storeys.

The Metropolitan Police have so far submitted 15 early investigation advice files to the Crown Prosecution Service, and say 30 September this year is their deadline for submitting the remainder.

They said today that the fact that an inquiry was held first had slowed down the pace of their criminal investigation.

Read more:
Reform UK housing chief sacked over Grenfell comments
Grenfell Tower deconstruction begins

A spokesman for Grenfell United, which represents some of the families bereaved by the disaster and survivors, called for no further delay.

The group said: "Today's update from the Metropolitan Police marks an important step in a process that has already taken far too long.

"Nearly 10 years after the Grenfell Tower fire claimed the lives of 72 people, bereaved families, survivors and residents are being told that files will begin to be passed to the Crown Prosecution Service in September 2026, with charging decisions expected before the tenth anniversary.

"For our community, this is not news we meet with celebration. We meet it with caution, grief and determination. We have waited almost a decade for accountability.

"No family should have to wait over 10 years for justice for their loved ones, if it comes at all.

"The final report of the Grenfell Inquiry laid bare the shocking failures, dishonesty and disregard for human life that led to the fire. Grenfell was not a tragedy without cause.

"Those responsible must now be held to account.

"But after waiting nearly 10 years, our community cannot be expected to endure years more of delay.

"The Ministry of Justice and the Government must ensure the courts are properly resourced so that any prosecutions linked to Grenfell are heard swiftly.

"Justice delayed any further would be unacceptable."

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Up to 57 people could be charged over Grenfell Tower fire as police reveal timeline

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something happening in our Borough?

Let us know by emailing newsdesk@rochvalleyradio.com

All contact will be treated in confidence.

More from UK

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Recently Played

Newsletter

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated.

   

Coming up next On Air

  • George Buswell

    10:00pm - Midnight

  • After Hours

    Midnight - 2:00am

    For the night owls, night workers and everyone still going while the rest of the town sleeps. Music, chat and company after dark.

  • Wide Awake Club

    2:00am - 5:00am

    For those who find themselves awake at 3am more often than they’d like. Calm music, understanding voices and quiet company.

  • Up Before the Alarm

    5:00am - 7:00am

    for early starters, commuters and anyone already on their second brew. Livelier music and new voices warming things up before breakfast.

  • Wednesday Breakfast

    7:00am - 10:00am

    getting you out of bed and to work and school with great music and headlines.

  • Business Spotlight

    10:00am - 11:00am

    Join Geoff Kirkman on The Business Spotlight show on Roch Valley Radio.