On Air Now

Lunch with the Hat Man

Noon - 2:00pm

Now Playing

The Beatles

Something

Travelodge boss Jo Boydell quits amid guest sex assault row

The boss of Travelodge has quit amid a backlash over the chain's handling of a sexual assault at one of its hotels.

Jo Boydell had been criticised for her response to the guest safety row that followed the attack in Maidenhead, Berkshire, in December 2022 in which a man had been given a key card to his victim's room.

Kyran Smith, who had claimed to be her boyfriend, was jailed in February for seven-and-a-half years.

Money latest: 'Generational shift' in inheritance thinking

Then-prime minister Sir Keir Starmer urged Ms Boydell, who had run the chain since May 2022, to "seriously engage" with the government on the safety issue after she cancelled a meeting with MPs.

She was also criticised by the victim of the assault, who told Sky News she was "frustrated" by "very slow progress" in Ms Boydell's handling of her case and claimed there was a lack of accountability at Travelodge.

The hotel chain said its chief financial officer, Ray Reidy, had taken over as chief executive on an interim basis.

Travelodge said it had "acted quickly" to improve safety procedures amid fears duplicate keys could be given out without proper security checks.

The group said an independent review by Paul Greaney KC had been carried out, and an internal review was continuing.

Changes to have been implemented, it said, included new room access security across more than 600 of its hotels and additional staff training.

It said a guest must now give explicit permission for an extra or replacement room key to be given out and that it would never confirm to a third party if a guest is staying at one of its hotels.

All key-card doors have also been checked to ensure they have a secondary deadbolt.

Travelodge bosses are also undertaking a training programme put together by an expert in tackling violence against women and girls.

Mr Reidy said in a statement: "We remain focused on the safety and wellbeing of our guests and will continue taking the actions necessary to strengthen the business.

"We will also continue to engage proactively and constructively with Government and the wider hospitality industry on the issue of safety and security."

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News App. You can also follow @SkyNews on X or subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Travelodge boss Jo Boydell quits amid guest sex assault row

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something happening in our Borough?

Let us know by emailing newsdesk@rochvalleyradio.com

All contact will be treated in confidence.

More from UK

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Recently Played

Newsletter

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated.

   

Coming up next On Air

  • Lunch with the Hat Man

    Noon - 2:00pm

    Join Alan Duckworth, the Hat Man, for a great mix of music and chat.

  • Afternoons on Roch Valley Radio

    2:00pm - 3:00pm

  • Thursday Drivetime

    3:00pm - 6:00pm

    getting you home on your favourite Drivetime station.

  • The Sean Show

    6:00pm - 8:00pm

    Sean Cummiskey brings you the The Sensational Spectacular Sctillating Supersonic Sean Show! Or for ease The Sean Show! Top music and musings with “Great Number 2’s” and the home of tenuous links to songs from the news and “on this day!”.

  • The Midnight Special

    8:00pm - 10:00pm

    Craig, Christian and Tony bring a mix of songs & genres & nonsense, from brand new to classic.

  • Music Mix

    10:00pm - Midnight

    Roch Valley Radio is with you 24/7 with our great mix of music!