On Air Now

Up Before the Alarm

5:00am - 7:00am

Now Playing

Kim Wilde

Cambodia

Strict new checks to stop a 'dead dog' from registering as a waste carrier in illegal dumping crackdown

Waste carriers will be required to go through tough new identity, criminal record and technical checks in the latest move by the government to crack down on illegal dumping in England.

Legislation will be put forward this week requiring waste handlers to prove they are qualified to transport rubbish - with those granted a new-style permit obliged to display it in their vehicles and on advertising.

The new system is due to be introduced in 2027.

The chief executive of the Environment Agency (EA) Philip Duffy says this is the latest measure amid a growing number of mega-waste sites across the country:

"Waste crime is evolving, but so are we. These reforms give us the tools we need to fight back.

"With stronger powers to revoke permits and issue enforcement notices, we will move faster to shut down rogue operators and protect communities from the damage waste crime causes."

Speaking to Sky News last week, Baroness Sheehan, chair of the House of Lords Environment and Climate Change committee, believes reforms are vital.

"We hope very much that they [EA] will carry out the things that they're doing, particularly making sure that the... reforms are brought in, because at the moment that regime is totally broken, where you can register anyone, even a dead dog, as a carrier," she said.

The government admits the current system for someone to get a waste permit is "broken and outdated", with limited identity and background checks.

The new system will move from a simple registration to a permit-based system, with operators required to actively demonstrate they meet requirements to operate.

Read more from Sky News:
'Waste criminal' to pay £1.4m
Growing illegal M25 waste site
Funding to clean up illegal tips

The EA will also have stronger powers to revoke permits and issue enforcement notices - with permit fees covering the cost of increased regulation.

The new measures announced today also include penalties of up to five years in prison for those found guilty of mishandling waste.

Currently, there are no custodial sentences for illegally transporting or dealing in rubbish.

The announcement comes after Sky News revealed last week that three new major waste sites are under investigation by the EA in Kent, Nottinghamshire and Berkshire, totally 120-thousand tonnes.

In total, the EA says there are 537 active illegal waste sites across England.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Strict new checks to stop a 'dead dog' from registering as a waste carrier in illegal dumping c

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something happening in our Borough?

Let us know by emailing newsdesk@rochvalleyradio.com

All contact will be treated in confidence.

More from UK

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Newsletter

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated.

   

Coming up next On Air

  • Up Before the Alarm

    5:00am - 7:00am

    for early starters, commuters and anyone already on their second brew. Livelier music and new voices warming things up before breakfast.

  • Monday Breakfast

    7:00am - 10:00am

    getting you out of bed and to work and school with great music and headlines.

  • Monday Morning Mix

    10:00am - Noon

    Join Alan Duckworth with a mix of all genres of music and general chat around book music, scooters and other social interests with a relaxing Smooth 15 minutes after the 11 o’clock news.

  • Lunchtime with Joe

    Noon - 2:00pm

    bringing you a wide mix of music and chat during your lunch break.

  • Monday Gospel

    2:00pm - 3:00pm

    with Mary Walsh bring you a wide-ranging gospel music from all over the world.

  • Monday Drivetime

    3:00pm - 6:00pm

    with Alexandra and James getting you home on your favourite Drivetime station.