On Air Now

The Quiet Storm

11:00pm - 1:00am

Now Playing

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Snow ((Hey Oh)) (Edit)

Government announces sweeping 'crackdown' on social media firms

The government has announced a sweeping "crackdown" on tech firms to protect children from illegal content.

It will include measures to eliminate "vile illegal content created by AI," and could even open the door to an Australia-style age limit on social media, a Number 10 spokesperson said.

It also promises to shut down the loophole that has allowed chatbots to produce illegal content.

On Sunday Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said “no platform gets a free pass” from the new restrictions.

Under the plans, ministers will "shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act", according to a government announcement.

Introduced in 2023, the Online Safety Act imposes strict duties on social media platforms - particularly in protecting children from harmful content.

The government has also promised a consultation with tech firms to discuss how to best safeguard children.

A spokesperson said that means "being able to act quickly on measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are harmful".

In December last year Australia became the first country in the world to introduce a mandatory minimum age of 16 for accessing social media platforms.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said: "As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online.

"Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my government, Britain will be a leader, not a follower, when it comes to online safety.

"Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action.

"We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media."

Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said: "I know that parents across the country want us to act urgently to keep their children safe online.

"That's why I stood up to Grok and Elon Musk when they flouted British laws and British values.

"We will not wait to take the action families need, so we will tighten the rules on AI chatbots and we are laying the ground so we can act at pace on the results of the consultation on young people and social media.

"We are determined to give children the childhood they deserve and to prepare them for the future at a time of rapid technological change."

Read more from Sky News:
Foreign secretary denies PM is 'rattled'
Inside the UK's van dwelling hotspots

Shadow Education Secretary Laura Trott dismissed the proposals as "more smoke and mirrors from a government that has chosen inaction when it comes to stopping under-16s accessing social media".

Ms Trott said the evidence that social media content harms under-16s is "clear" and said they "should be prevented from accessing" it.

Britain, she said, "is lagging behind while other countries have recognised the risks and begun to act".

Her view was echoed by Dr Becky Foljambe, founder of Health Professionals for Safer Screens, who said ministers should "stop talking and act, as every day they dither, more children are harmed".

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Government announces sweeping 'crackdown' on social media firms

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something happening in our Borough?

Let us know by emailing newsdesk@rochvalleyradio.com

All contact will be treated in confidence.

More from UK

Donate to Roch Valley Radio

 

Recently Played

Newsletter

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated.

   

Coming up next On Air

  • The Quiet Storm

    11:00pm - 1:00am

    Join Paul Harvey on The Quiet Storm as he plays the world’s greatest love songs to end your day.

  • Wide Awake Club

    1:00am - 5:00am

    For those who find themselves awake at 3am more often than they’d like. Calm music, understanding voices and quiet company.

  • Up Before the Alarm

    5:00am - 7:00am

    for early starters, commuters and anyone already on their second brew. Livelier music and new voices warming things up before breakfast.

  • Monday Breakfast

    7:00am - 10:00am

    getting you out of bed and to work and school with great music and headlines.

  • Monday Morning Mix

    10:00am - Noon

    Join Alan Duckworth with a mix of all genres of music and general chat around book music, scooters and other social interests with a relaxing Smooth 15 minutes after the 11 o’clock news.

  • Lunchtime with Joe

    Noon - 2:00pm

    bringing you a wide mix of music and chat during your lunch break.