Eleven people were arrested during a day of protests in Manchester city centre on Saturday 21 February, as supporters of the far right group Britain First marched through the city and were met by counter demonstrators.
Greater Manchester Police confirmed a significant policing operation was in place throughout the afternoon, which also saw football fixtures and a major concert taking place in the city. Officers said they worked with organisers to ensure people could protest safely while reducing disruption to the wider public.
Britain First supporters gathered beneath Piccadilly Station before setting off shortly after 1.20pm on what organisers described as a march for remigration and mass deportations. Counter protesters, including members of Stand Up To Racism Manchester, held a separate demonstration in Piccadilly Gardens earlier in the day. Former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn addressed that event.
There were a number of confrontations as the march moved through the city. Police detained a man following an altercation near Bloom Street in the Gay Village. Further scuffles were reported in Piccadilly Gardens, on Portland Street and near the Palace Theatre, where theatre goers were queuing for a performance of Priscilla Queen of the Desert.
A 10 hour dispersal order was put in place across the city centre, giving officers additional powers to direct individuals to leave the area. As of Saturday evening, police confirmed 11 arrests in total.
Two men were arrested on suspicion of preventing a breach of the peace. Two men were arrested on suspicion of assaulting emergency workers. Four men were arrested on suspicion of public order offences, with one subsequently de arrested and issued with a summons. One man was arrested on suspicion of an offence under the Crime and Disorder Act and was later de arrested and given a dispersal notice. One man was arrested on suspicion of assault. One man was arrested on suspicion of breaching a dispersal notice.
Two of those arrested were later de arrested. Nine men remain in custody.
The march concluded at Castlefield Bowl, where speeches were delivered to supporters. Police maintained a presence throughout the afternoon and evening.
Assistant Chief Constable Rick Jackson, gold commander for the policing operation, said,
“Manchester was expected to be extremely busy today, with multiple planned protests in the city centre as well as several football matches.
“We put extra officers on duty to support people’s right to protest peacefully while reducing the impact on the wider public.
“Thanks to the efforts of our officers on the ground and the planning done with our partners, hundreds of people from a range of groups were able to come together safely, with no significant issues reported.
“Greater Manchester is a place where people can confidently and lawfully express their views, while ensuring that residents, workers, and visitors can go about their day feeling safe.”
Gorton and Denton voters are ‘fed up’ with the by-election and so much more
Rochdale arrest among 23 held in major organised crime crackdown
Social prescribing helping Bury patients rebuild their lives
Greater Manchester Police arrest 23 in major organised crime crackdown
Business secretary warns Reform poses risk to Gorton and Denton high street ahead of by election
EXCLUSIVE: Silenced mother’s own FOI reveals nearly £11 million paid out for maternity harm at hospital where she says she was assaulted during childbirth
Crowdfunder launched to create mural honouring Stone Roses and Primal Scream legend Mani
United Utilities to host online recruitment event as wastewater hiring drive continues

Comments
Add a comment